Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Baby, We Were Born To Run


The Oregon Coast isn't a good climate for horses, especially with the increasing rains we have had over the last few years here. Every year is windier and rainier. If you put a horse on a wet pasture the pasture will turn to mud in no time and the the horse can develop all sorts of foot ailments.

Our horses have stalls and a reasonable sized fenced in corral where they can go inside or out when ever they please. Unless it's raining really hard they will spend most of their time outside. To keep their hooves healthy I have rubber mats inside and out so they are never standing in mud. However since it is raining all the time they rarely get out on the pasture and the round pen is often too wet to let them run around. Fortunately we have a friend with an indoor arena who lets us bring the horses down and run them around from time to time.

It's really cool to let them in and remove their halters. They mosey around, sniff the ground, lie down and roll for a bit and then they are off to the races. They zoom around the arena, chasing one another, kicking up and running until they are exhausted. They seem to know that this arena time may be the only chance they will get to stretch out for another week or so.

Though drier weather is expected as we get closer to summer, I hope to be able to use the round pen to get them back into shape for summer riding. Hopefully we will be able to put in a covered arena someday where we can work on them daily.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I guess I never really knew that horses were so fragile. I'm glad my dogs can go play in the rain as much as they want. And it doesn't take an indoor area the size of a football field to run them around in.

5:37 AM  
Blogger mark said...

I'm definitely suffering from a lack of outdoor exercise; riding a stationary bike in the basement just doesn't cut it. Plus, I think I might be getting one of those hoof maladies you spoke of.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we all need a dry indoor arena to play in.

8:43 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I wouldn't call them fragile. Consider how much tone you'd lose if you didn't get to run free for a couple weeks.

Mark, let me know because I sell a foot cream as well.

Anon, sometimes we need to roll in the dirt, too.

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home