Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Old Screen Doors


I was thinking this morning about my favorite screen doors. I’ve lived in houses that have had those crappy aluminum storm doors that converted to a screen door in the summer. I think of them as artificial doors and I don’t like them at all.

The house I presently live in has three doors. One is a slider off one of the guest rooms and that has a sliding screen; eh… The main door is a divided glass double door with no screen door. The final door has a side panel on each side of the door that opens and that those side panels have screens in them.

I really miss my old houses with the wooden three panel screen doors. There is something about the weight of a good screen door. There is something about the sound it delivers when the door closes. There is something about the sounds of the creaking springs when ever the door is opened. There is something special about the light and air that come through these screen doors. There is something special about how things look on the other side of these screen doors.

I need to mention that these doors can only have metal screens. When new, the screens glisten like a newly minted penny. When old there is a build-up of dust and what ever lands on the screen when the wire is moist from the rains or even the humidity. They can be cleaned, but the patina of an old screen is a mark of distinction only to be replaced when they disintegrate from a light touch.

Those of you with such a door need to count yourselves as fortunate. Most homes no longer have this type of door. Please think of me the next time you hear the squeaking spring or when you hear the sound of the door closing against the wooden frame. I celebrate with you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

My goodness, I don't know when I last saw a screen door like that. I grew up with them, of course. Most small-town grocery stores had them, with a metal bread advertisement in the middle. I'm trying to think what brand it was in the part of Iowa I grew up in, but right now my memory fails. Colonial, perhaps.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I love that sound of the creaking springs, and if the door isn't too 'weighty' how it hits your bum on the way out too.

5:39 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Our house has a "storm door" on the front door which we never use. It's mostly made of plastic and weighs a ton. The damned thing has almost lost me a finger several times. For our back door, which we like to leave open in the spring and fall, I bought a lightweight screen that hangs from velcro strips. Not as visually or auditory pleasing as a real screen door, but it's much easier for the dog to come and go.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Oh, you tugged a heart string with this one. I love the sound of an old screen door.

Karlene's parents still have one, and I covet that mofo.

9:16 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, thanks again for the mention. I wish I could buy you that door on ebay.

Auntie, and there was no way of sneaking in because the spring was like an alarm.

Darev, now go down to the shop and whittle one out.

Syd, I'm shocked you don't have one. Your home would be prefect for it, but reinforce the bottoms to protect it from the dogs.

More old stuff over the next two days.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Great post...I had a funky handmade screen door in Oregon that I miss...hate my loud, tinny, metal storm door in Virginia and would love to get a more expensive one as they are heavier, close softly and quietly...I don't think my Orygun screen door would meet the HOA guidelines here, haha.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Guy said...

Teri, I don't think I could live in a dictatorship that most HOA are. You are welcome to come back to Oregon.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home