Friday, October 26, 2007

United Way Sucks Even More


Two years ago I wrote an article about Why United Way Sucks. It got several replies and testimonials by people I don’t know who agreed for the most part. The next year I did another article on why United Way Continues to Sucks. I got several more replies and testimonials. Even to this day when ever I check the stats on my blog there is usually someone who finds this blog by searching the phrase United Way Sucks. They are still leaving comments on these articles even though they were posted one and two years ago.

I’ve been toying with doing another annual United Way Sucks article, but I didn’t have any new ammo for an assault. However, I ran into a friend who was a big United Way supporter who argued with me at length after my first article. It became heated to say the least.

When I saw her the other day she asked where my annual article was, and I thought she was just egging me for another fight, but then she told me that last years article changed her mind and she no longer has a payroll deduction. I nearly fell over. I asked what got her to change her mind and she stated that it was the line about how United Way gets everyone to do their work with your company time and resources. She then did some research and found their executives are making big money. She sent me to the site http://www.charitynavigator.org/

There you can look up The United Way and it will show their 141 main chapters. Click on any chapter and then you scroll down to the bottom you will find the salary of each chapter President. For instance Meg Baxter, President of the Portland Chapter is paid $125,786 per year. Most presidents are making a six-figure salary. I added the President’s salary of the first 25 branches and it came to $3,798,251. The average salary being $151,930. Multiply that by 141 and you have the salary of United Way Presidents at $21,422,135.

Think how many earnest donations that are made by people thinking their money will go to well meaning organizations while United Way spends 21 million of those funds to pay their regional Presidents. Remember folks, you donate the money. Your company donates photocopies and staff coordination time and United Way skims 14% and pays their staff more than most of you make in three years.

Let me reiterate, UNITED WAY STILL CONTINUES TO SUCK A BIG ONE!!! DON'T SUPPORT IT!!!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

When I was in the military they "highly encouraged" United Way participation and your annual evaluation reflected or not whether you supported unit cohesiveness efforts (read: gave to United Way). I've never contributed to them since, and am glad, after reading about all the mismanagement at various offices throughout the country.

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once held a job in a non-profit that received money from United Way and I received pressure to sign up for a payroll deduction. I refused. I was a PT employee and single parent, and my supervisor was PO'd that I wouldn't donate. I couldn't believe that I was being pressured to donate when I was barely getting by on my crap wages....

Guy, you know the organization.. think mouth breathers and knuckle draggers.....

Love,
Anon

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back when I was in junior high I knew a family that the father was a United Way exec. The were the richest people in the area by far, the kids were spoiled rotten bullies and the mother spent her day shopping or at salons.

I've never given a dime to United Way. I have my charitable money to Loaves and Fishes. Can't say enough good stuff about those folks. They helped my mom thru some hard times and my mother in law works for them back in Ohio.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Cherie said...

Right on, Guy!

I've had the same experience as Anon, what with pressure from work and 'disappointment' at not donating to U. Way.

Glad you wrote this. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Bums.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand why, if people want their money to go to a specific charity United Way gives to, the person doesn't donate directly to that charity (rather than giving to United Way with the stipulation their funds go to the charity). I mean, is the convenience of a payroll deduction enough to offset having ALL your donation go to the charity - without UW skimming off the top? I wouldn't think so, but maybe some do.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Didn't start blogging until November 2006 so missed those posts. Just read them. Will now check out that link.
I've been wary of The United Way since my first job when I (as most people are) was pressured to donate via pay-roll deduction. No way.

5:54 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sorry for catching back up so late, but I was in Portland all day...

Lori, if the military isn't bad enough, they've inflitrated to Post Office and will have United Way cancellation marks, at of course no charge.

Love Anon, the term has been since extended to Knuckle Dragging Slack Jawed Mouth Breathers. Your former employer is at an all time low.

CCF, just more evidence for my post next year.

Cherie, welcome to Rust, where you are never alone, probably because I'm on the computer 24 hours a day.

Walt, it purely a lazy way to feel good about parting with some lucre.

It's a wonder people give to them at all, but pressure seems to work pretty well. I'd really like to know who else gets swag from United Way.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

After years of working for Uncle Sugar, I still made no friends when I refused to encourage my people to give to those scumbags. Lotsa charities have bank accounts where you can send a regular deduction from your account if you wish to. Giving direct to worthy causes is usually best.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home