Thursday, October 25, 2007

We Once Were Legends


Every once in a while someone’s name or face will pop into my head. I had not seen or thought of them in years. It is then that I realize that I may never see them again. Some are remarkable people who I’d love to see again, but the effort that needs to be put forth in order to find them is daunting.

My larger fear of ever making their acquaintance again would be that they somehow aren’t quite as special as I remembered them to be.

Now I think of myself. Maybe it is better that I am thousands of miles away from people I knew and people would have a hard time finding me. I am not as remarkable as I used to be. I look nothing like I did twenty years ago. I don’t even look like the person I was ten years ago. I keep a very regular schedule, I’m a home body and I write a dopey blog every day. I am a dopey blogger and that is my most remarkable attribute these days. It’s not that I’m ashamed of it, but it would be terribly disappointing to anyone making a effort to seek me out to rekindle the good old days and finding what is left of my former self.

12 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Hey Dopey, If ya' did go find them, they wouldn't care--it's not the outside they liked (what you do/how you look) it's the inside. Sheesh.

5:26 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Ain't that sweet. That's what Auntie calls me, too. Anyway, it's the inside as well. I am much more cautious about what I will say and do. I was once really out of control
and it worked at the time.

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheer up Guy...there are upsides to getting older. Nobody's interested in kidnapping you any more...in a hostage situation, you are likely to be released first...no one expects you to run...anywhere...your supply of brain cells are finally down to a manageable level...there is nothing left to learn the hard way...and you can live without sex but not without your glasses...

6:04 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Hey, Dopey. Start borrowing your wife's therapy lights! Sounds like you need them now. LOL

6:35 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hey, don't go there. You are so much more than a dopey blogger.
And if (part of you) is a dopey blogger, what does that say about all of us who regularly read your blog?
(Maybe I don't want you to go there, either...)

8:19 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Hey, I'm not depressed about it, just recognizing it as a fact.

By Dopey Blogger I mean that I am anyone with a soap box with one unpaid, unsolicited opinion generation machine. Blogs should no sooner be trusted for accurate information than a guy who says, "It's true because I read it on the Internet." I am writing stuff and putting it on the Internet for entertainment. Please no wagering.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Sorry, Guy...I don't know everything that you used to do. But, I do happen to know that you do lots more than blog. (Gloriously)

Besides, have you forgotten that we pretty much hate people?

7:12 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darlin, I'll be mailing you a prize for the kind words next week. You are one person I'd love to spend 3 hours and 59 minutes with, Syd. Love ya hon...

7:43 PM  
Blogger Columbiacontrolfreak said...

I am weird in that I do not have people from my past I want to find. My mother moved us a lot so I didn't ever form lasting bonds with anyone outside of immediate family when I was a kid. Even as an adult I have trouble holding onto to people. People come and people go.

My only heavy attachment is to my hubby and he can tell you it took a while for me to learn how to accept he wasn't just going to be gone one day.

7:20 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

CCF, I bet people remember and want to see you.

9:56 PM  
Blogger 4 said...

Now I feel bad about myself. Damn.

4:29 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Matt, you are just becoming a legend, don't give up.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home