Monday, May 19, 2008

Knew Them When


Back when I was doing some speaking at high schools I would often ask the students if anyone famous ever attended their school. It was usually after some thought that they presented me with the name of someone who broke some record in track and field back in the 60s, but I never heard of anyone real famous.

This makes me wonder if any famous people ever attended high school or if there aren’t quite as many famous people as we might think. Even in the 50 years of the existence of my high school the only close to famous person there was a guy who played professional baseball for about three years and then faded into obscurity.

Though it may be hard on a school that none of its students ever made their marks on fame, think of how hard it is on a school when their only famous student is infamous.

Think of it, Lee Harvey Oswald had to go to high school somewhere. Rosie O’Donnell had to go somewhere. Go down the list of criminals and national idiots and they had somewhere they called home. Do their high schools hide this mark of distinction?

There are always towns that are confused about their celebrities. Curt Cobain lived in Aberdeen, Washington. This is a town that refused a statue of Curt because they didn't want to promote what he stood for, however when you enter the town there are signs that say, "Come as You Are."

15 Comments:

Blogger pril said...

Pete Sampras, Joey Burns (of Calexico) and Christopher Boyce all went to my high school.

7:07 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I never heard of any of them.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Tim McVeigh went to a rival school of my ex-husband - years later.

For us - Annabeth Gish (actress from Mystic Pizza), Gary Kroeger (from the non-Lorne Michael years of Saturday Night Live who went on to be a game show MC and gave it all up to move back to Iowa and work for an ad agency), Gary Mark, fratricide murderer of four (graduated with my mom). I heard Nick Nolte went to a rival cross-town school, but that is anecdotal only.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pril said...
Pete Sampras.... and Christopher Boyce... went to my high school...

The Guy said...
I never heard of any of them.


Aww come on, Sampras was the tennis champ...and Boyce was the "Falcon" from The Falcon & The Snowman, the two boyhood pals from Southern Cal who were accessing CIA satellite info and selling it to the Russians before it all went bad for them. It was a great book and a pretty good movie, too.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

No one from my high school has achieved either fame or infamy. (Or they've changed their name.)
But who knows? I could still manage to achieve either one.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least if you are going to reference the late great man who invented the new rock and roll Kurt Cobain, you can sppeeel his name right.

When I attended high school in Atoka Oklahoma, rodeo legend Lane Frost graduated a couple of years ahead of me. That's about as close as it gets for me. I hung out with him a few times (my neighbor was a rodeo buddy of his).

6:44 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

I've never heard of anyone from my high school achieving fame or infamy, but there were only 62 people in my graduating class.

"Come as You Are." Do they masturbate a lot in Aberdeen?

7:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I guess I'd do better if I subscribed to Peephole magazine. Maybe I should do a post on how out of touch I am with the entertainment world.

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you could watch entertainment tonight on tv. ;-)

6:26 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin of Guns & Roses went to my high school as did Tammy Lynn Michaels (actress who married Melissa Ethridge). Shannon Hoon of Blind Mellon went to the county school where my high school boyfriend attended.

11:08 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

OK all you bubble bursters...

Zoe, is Axel Rose still alive?

12:11 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

As far as I know he is.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alive and well. He's been working on an album that has been due to be released for two years now. He does impromptu concerts once in a while and sings the new songs.

6:30 PM  
Blogger pril said...

now, see, I figured you'd be old enough to remember who Christopher Boyce was. Plus, they just let him out of prison a couple of years ago to much consternation and teeth gnashing.

7:57 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'm a bit out of touch.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home