Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A Good Look


Recently had the honor of spending some time at an event with Black Mamba. She’d think I am crazy for calling it an honor, but I truly feel that way. Black Mamba presents very well. She is a person of stunning pulchritude in mind, spirit, face, form and style. There are people that make ill-guided efforts to present them selves with a look that is commissary with their positions. Black Mamba seems to possess the innate skill to get it absolutely right. It all has to do with confidence, focus and a bunch of other things like never wanting to come off as a skank.

Anyway, we were at this function together when two women in rather high powered positions sit near us. I noticed right away these two women either took absolutely no time regarding their professional presentation of themselves or they just didn’t care how they looked. Black Mamba’s hair is professionally styled and colored and it frames her face and frames her attitude. On the other hand the two women obviously colored their hair them selves and possibly even cut their hair themselves. Every hair was the same color without high lights or undertones. They looked like they were wearing bad wigs made from plastic fibers.

I know it sounds shallow of me, but I gave the whole thing a lot of thought. I appreciate art and landscapes. I enjoy a beautiful sunrise and the sight of a star filled sky. Why not admit to enjoying when someone presents them self so well. I later emailed Black Mamba and told her in non flirtatious manner that I appreciate how she presents herself. Sometimes it’s a nice thing to hear.

10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

You're making me very self-conscious of my hair these days.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Ironic, isn't it?

We, as society, SAY "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover" and "looks aren't everything" ... but are quick to judge people on their looks.

After all, your first impression of someone IS going to be their looks. Unless you hear them from across the room.

Or read their blog. LOL

7:31 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I'll admit that I do enjoy when someone takes the time to present themselves well. As long as it's not overdone. I have this perhaps unfortunate male bias that makes me look at most women in a certain way. And if it looks like they have spent a long time on their appearance I pretty much dismiss them as being "too much trouble". I'm a rabid anti-cosmeticist. There's a fine line between looking professional and competent and self assured and looking vain and insecure. I can appreciate someone who has taken time to look nice. I tend to dismiss those who make it a vocation.

7:33 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

OK Beth, I'll change the subject. and you hair looks great so worry not.

Walt there is some attitude in there as well. It's the entire person that I'm talking about.

Darev, I'm not big on make-up either, but when done correctly it doesn't show.

5:16 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I tend to piss some women off at times. I have a set speech about the origins of makeup and how it was used by babylonian prostitutes to denote their specialties and how much they charged. Hasn't changed anybodys ways as yet, but it sure has annoyed some of them.

6:35 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

heh, i was just wondering what you'd think of me if you saw mine...

early stage dreadlocks are hardly ever cute, but the end results are often worth the wait!

1:24 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

If I could, I'd have dreads. You have some pulchritude issues going for yourself. I saw your photo on your other blog with the dashiki.

3:36 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

methinks there's a compliment in there, somewheres... haha

11:01 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:01 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yep D, you've got a good look. I'd be proud to have you as a daughter, except for all your sass.; )

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home