Monday, December 29, 2008

Year in Review: July and August


June 2008: The 100 bales I bought lasted exactly 100 days. I was hoping to have nearly a years supply having gotten used to 80 pound bales of eastern orchard grass. The Jewell hay is in smaller, lighter bales, which is fine by me. It’s actually nice knowing when you will run out of hay by counting the remaining bales in storage. I returned for another 50 bales and I’ve been wanting to go up to get another 50 or 100 bales to get me closer to the next hay season, but the climate in Jewell right now isn’t very inviting for driving. So right now I’m back on$19 bales of eastern orchard grass. I need to check in with Mel to see if she has any projects in the works. I’m down to nine chickens, and don’t plan on slaughtering any of them. I think my sock supply is good.

August: I’ve recently taken more time for leisure. It’s not that I planed it; I’m just becoming lazier and I’m OK with that. The hens are still laying on average five eggs a day. I have successfully kept the horses contained and their fences in good repair. The discussion of the wrong side of the tracks keeps coming up in conversations I’ve been having. I still haven’t rebuilt my manure shed, but it is high on my list of things to do. I am discovering that in homes where there are two male children, the younger child is usually troubled. I am looking forward to the County Fair.

8 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Leisure/lazy time is good - as long as the brain remains active.
And what about homes with three male children - none of whom seem troubled? Does your theory only work with two?

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...I want to hear that theory too being as I am the youngest of three brothers. Okay...okay...I sense that I will be used as a confirmation of your theory. And if that makes me feel a little offended or depressed, I will think back to the day when I was once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions...

Moose

1:57 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I was the only male child in the house and I was a maniac. Asperghers syndrome to the max. I'm surprised they didn't rename me "Damien". IfI was my father, I would have killed me.

And what's all this about chicken socks? How do you keep them up? Little garters? I'm sure the neighbors would start talking...

2:25 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

August. About the time I started blogging to relieve some of the pressure. It's working, but I discover I have to work harder to relax more. Dammit!

3:56 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sorry, but I've got nothing for the three kid family dynamics other than the youngest male will be a smart ass.

Darev, you'll have to read the archives. And don't you think they would have named your sister that as well?

5:36 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Oh no.... she was an angel compared to me. She only got weird later in life.

5:17 PM  
Blogger g said...

you count bales and i count rows of firewood. one row / month average.

which in laymens terms is about a cord.

7:07 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, you set a good example.

g, Been there, now I count kilowatts.

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home