Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Politics and Hair


This year I watched both the Republican and the Democrat Conventions. I was watching it more to see if there was specific looks that were sported by each side, and it was obvious, as I suspected. In the Republican audience there were the same six persons of color that the cameras would come to; everyone else was lily white and that wasn’t at all shocking. What really surprised me was the Blond Republican Wife Syndrome. Nine out of ten women in the crowd were blonds with hair that was way too blond to be a natural color for an adult and a solid color with no high lights or undertones.. On the other hand at the Democrat convention the women sported salt and pepper hair and not particularly stylish cuts.

This got me thinking about the political leanings of the people I know and it is true than most of the Republican women I know have blond hair, and most of the Democrat women I know have salt and pepper hair. There could be a lot to be said for reality verses illusion, natural verses artificial or even self image verses a lack of one, but I’m going to leave that to the sociologists.

One thing I will leave you with is that on recent shopping expeditions I noticed that the shoppers in Safeway were more than likely Democrats and the shoppers in Fred Meyer lean more towards being Republicans.

14 Comments:

Blogger MissKris said...

Naughty, naughty...you're 'presuming' here. I must say in Portland it doesn't matter. If I go by your guidelines, the vast majority are Democrats. Doesn't matter if it's Freddy's, Safeway, or QFC. Oh, except maybe up on West Burnside. WAY up on West Burnside. Now, where do the little ol' silvery white ones like me fit in, eh?

5:09 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I'm digging my graying head. Though I will just look old and not distinguished like my male Republican counterparts when I'm fully gray.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm interesting observation . . . I think you might be on to something.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a total Democrat, and I hate to shop at Safeway--particularly the Astoria Safeway. In general their prices are way higher than Fred Meyer. I do have the salt and pepper hair though!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're on to something also. The coast can't be compared to Portland or cities of that size. I have blond hair...unless it's fall/winter, then I go auburn (I like it more than others do, suits my spicy personality). My friends think I'm crazy...maybe so. I shop at both stores...but my fave is Costco..get what I need and get out...it's a long drive home :)

11:33 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Hmm, Hillary blonde, Sarah brunette.

11:40 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hmmm..... what do the radical lunatic fringey types wear? I hope it's not dreadlocks. My wife would look horrible in dreadlocks, even if she is a hard core Bob Marley fan.

3:12 PM  
Blogger g said...

F***ing politics...

Thank God I have brown hair.

7:32 PM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

Hair................not my most fav subject, I'd be happy just to have some more.
loopy

2:35 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Kris I didn't mention it now did I? There are always exceptions to the rule.

Lori, you may switch political affiliation by that time.

Trish, or at least I portray myself as being on to something.

JB, you live closer to FM so that makes more sense. I am surprised how many people that replied to the Safeway article who hate shopping at Safeway. Here I thought I was being a bit of a kook for doing that article.

Ginger, I thought people named Ginger were supposed to have red hair!?!

Rich, there are always exceptions to the rule, and I made no mention of brunettes, only blonds and salt and pepper.

Darev, wool caps.

I didn't mention brown hair or mens hair at all.

Loopy, then stop pulling it out. ; )

5:17 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

The men's hair sorta needs to be addressed as well. The missus pointed something out I'd not really noticed: the men's hair at the Dems gathering ranged from full to balding to bald with various colors represented. The GOP men seemed to range from salt & pepper, to occasionally bald, with a whole lotta hairpieces & dye jobs in between. Not sure if that indicates anything, but it did make me notice how much better hair transplants look than
hairpieces.

11:13 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dem men had the beards

11:31 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

I supported the democratic candidate, I have blonde hair with lots of gray (salt and blond?), and I'm nobody's wife.

5:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Patti, if there is gray poking through what ever color hair you are more than likely a Democrat. Also by reading your blogger blurb, there is nothing Republican about you at all.

Welcome to Astoria Rust, by the way. I hope you are are able to deal with all the rotten weather we've been sending your way. Hint you may want to get out of state for the weekend.

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home