Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Year in Review: September and October



September: Though nothing else has been stolen from me I am cautious in avoiding the person that stole the pen from my truck. I’ve lost respect for her, as I hav lost respect for others more recently. I still have occasional writers block but it seems I save myself in the nick of time, like wrapping up last years blog posts bought me six days of posting. I only anticipate things on a small scale. Nothing big; maybe getting a new roof on my shop this year. Maybe building some furniture. I’ve also decided to correct people that call Mexicans illegal immigrants or illegal aliens. I want them to be called Mexican expatriates. I am looking forward to a more stable family economy. I’m looking forward to the first camp fire of the new year.

October: Though I can’t really detect it, the calendar tells me the days are growing longer. My resting time will draw to a close. My the advice for the Mikes, both stall mat sellers, I went to Les Schwab where I was able to order the ½ inch mat to replace the one that slid out of my horse trailer never to be seen again. It was a $45 loss. My new mat is screwed to the floor. I’ve been finding some remarkable photos and videos on the web that relate to my childhood. More to follow. Now that I’ve been buying a couple of bales of hay at a time I’ve been able to park in my garage again. I like it so much that I’m considering building a hay barn. Oh and there is a charity that is unashamedly worse than United Way. Christians Children Fund takes 20% of your contribution for expenses . United Way takes 14%. They both suck.

10 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I know these are serious posts as you reflect on the past year, but I have to tell you - your last line cracked me up!

4:48 AM  
Blogger Femin Susan said...

Hi......
Your blog is really interesting... Keep posting.... Wishing you " A Happy New Year''

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy new year guy....still enjoying your blog....

5:20 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

About those charities: I've learned through training here at the prison that several of those Save The Children-type charities are actually run by the Crips and the Bloods and other "street" gangs. I don't know for sure about UW or the CCF, but there are a few that you would recognize. For every dollar you put in a nickel goes to a kid and the rest buys guns and cadillacs for thugs.

5:23 PM  
Blogger g said...

"I am cautious in avoiding the person that stole the pen from my truck."

guy, i'm trying to be calm here but that is the funniest thing i've heard anyone say all year. my wife came in the 'puter room to see what i was hysterically laughing about!!

hope you don't mind if i use it.

and i hope you get your pen back.

7:06 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

It's been awhile, but just wanted to drop in and say hello, wish you happy end of the year, and see what you're up to.

I like your Mexican expatriate line. I may use that myself.

11:04 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth and Darev, in my opinion any charity that has more than 5% indirect fees are run by gangs.

Femin Susan, welcome and thanks.

Thanks to you as well, Anon

g, that a major offense for a writer. You wouldn't believe how picky I am over my pens. It would be like if someone clipped your favorite hammer. Actually if someone clipped one of my Estwings I'd be just as pissed.

Lelo, Darlin, welcome back. Yes, please spread the word about the Ex-pats.

6:13 AM  
Blogger g said...

back in my drinking daze, the hammer with the bottle opener in place of the claw was my favorite.

now it's just the boring 16oz stanley finish hammer. for now i've retired the 25oz framer.

if you lose your estwing, let me know. i can help you out in a pinch. i know a dude who knows a dude that can be pinched from.

4:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I have four left. I even gave Auntie one.

9:35 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

i noticed the days growing longer today, as i drove with my mom and found that the sky wasn't yet pitch-black at 5:41, but rather a shade of navy fading into aquamarine at the horizon.

yay!

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home