Monday, January 05, 2009

Nice!


Writing about tea yesterday reminded me of other tea experiences in my life. As a child one of my favorite snacks was tea and toast. Tea is very conducive to dunking. Milk is really the only other dunking liquid. Dunking things in water, orange juice, beer or even coffee just doesn’t cut it. Tea is in that sense a prefect beverage.

Later in life I had a friend that was born into a Jewish family that kept a Kosher kitchen. I became really close to the family and spent a lot of time there. He mother professed that tea was the drink that was served with a beef or dairy meal because most people put milk in their coffee and that would render the meal un-Kosher. On the other hand tea was not usually taken with milk, so it was perfect at the end of beef or dairy meals. Coffee was served with other meals.

Another “nicety” of this Jewish mother was that everything was “nice” to here. As soon as I would show up she would say, “How about a pot of nice tea?” It was never a nice pot of tea, but a pot of “nice tea.” When dining at their home she would announce, “You should stay and eat. We are going to have a nice fish tonight.”

It must be a Jewish thing because I’ve heard other Jews say that they went out to eat and they had a nice piece of fish. I can’t recall any other culture that I’ve come in contact with that thought co kindly for the food they are by calling it nice. The food of most cultures does not come close to being at all nice. You can say the word nice in the same sentence as Kim Chi, or lutefisk.

So the assignment for all readers here today is to have something nice to eat and make sure you address it as “nice.” It does make a difference.

15 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Now that you mention it.... we seem to use the word nice as an epithet rather than an appellation. "Well, aint that just nice!" And I often say "You are about the nicest little basticule I've ever met!"
I'll try throwing it back into my conversation in a positive light and see what happens. You always get me saying and thinking things that make my family think I'm a nutcake. I'll be talking about something and the wife will say "Have you been reading that blog again?"

4:09 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

In Missouri, we have a "big ole" pot of beans, or a "big ole" glass of tea.

You don't dunk cookies in coffee? You're missing out! I love ginger snaps or Oreos dipped in coffee.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Okay, I'm about to have a bowl of nice porridge as opposed to a nice bowl of porridge.
Perception does make a difference - and the bowl isn't really that nice anyway.

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be hard not to smile when using the word 'nice' . . . it puts a good spin on just about everything.

7:15 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

Loopy's nice bisque didn't turn out as well as planned.
loopy back to mondays being too busy

1:32 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I just had a nice hamburger from Wendy's. Only, it sucked ass.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that nice...Oh, what about cocoa...a cup of hot cocoa w/ a cookie dipped in it is nice...especially on a shitty snowy day. (current attitude it based on the past month)

4:29 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Occasionally, I get the craving to dunk PB toast in orange juice. Good stuff.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Nulaanne said...

I came home from work and had a cold nice pizza.

11:37 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I caught myself using nice in the negative connotation yesterday. Of course I also used "lovely" and "wonderful" in a negative way as well. I think sarcasm has become a permanent resident in my brain.

3:44 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, Oh Nice!

Donna, a coffee dunker eh? Out here that would make you a "sturdy woman."
(Local Joke)

Beth and Trish, you get it! Changes everything, doesn't it? I love you Canadians!

Loopy, that wasn't very nice now, was it?

Syd, If you eat there you deserve what you get. And you of all people, being a foodie, should know better.

Ginger, Cocoa is good for dunking only sweet things. I don't think toast is good dunked into it. You guys had a rough month in Jewell. I sent my generator up to someone in need.

Walt, That's just weird... BTW, looking at your avitar, did you know there is a new Doctor. Kind of looks dweeby.

Hot or cold, pizza is nearly always nice.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Does this mean I can't say my usual "That was (great, terrific, super, wonderful, etc) fish etc when I like something. I tend to put food into simple categories 1)great etc for most food 2)good for stuff that's not great etc. and 3)disgusting for stuff on the very short list of foods I won't eat:)

11:05 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'll let you write what you wish, Mike.

11:32 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i hate tea without milk! i'm so not kosher! the only kind i have sans lait is mint. screw the chamomile stuff!

1:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I agree on the herbal crap...yuck!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home