Monday, September 14, 2009

Adirondack Chairs


One great thing about having a good roof over my shop for the first time in years is that I no longer have to have tarps all over my equipment. I also have sky lights in there now so there is more natural light.

On the next rainy day I plan to spend the day in the shop cleaning out the accumulation of stuff and scrap wood and I want to get back down to business of making furniture. I make tables for indoor use and Adirondack chairs for outdoor use.

I love Adirondack chairs. They seem to have the best design for back and butt comfort and the wide arms can not only cradle your arms, but also have enough room to hold a drink and a plate.

I want to build saddle racks with wheels. I want to do some lathe work. I want to make new kitchen cabinets. I want to try to make a new dining room table.

A few years ago I took an alder I cut down to the mill in Olney. I have a big stack of alder boards that I’ve been wanting to put to use. I have a twelve foot figured maple plank that I‘ve been dreaming about for years. This winter I’ll be back in business.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I'd love to let you loose in my kitchen cabinets. :) They are made for two foot tall objects and the back wall is slanted.

You never cease to surprise me....such a talented man!

5:18 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

We call those Muskoka chairs - and yes, they are comfortable and functional!

5:28 AM  
Blogger a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

if anyone can create? you can.

sigh.

5:57 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Just make sure you have plenty of 2-1/2" deck screws on hand! You can make anything in the world with those pups.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandad would leave the bank in the city and join us on the banks of lake Piseco for a weekend of swimming, sailing, rowing, hiking and then kicking back with a few tall ice cold gin & tonics in an Adirondack chair while the youngsters played badminton till the bats and fireflys came out. Good times.

11:02 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

muskoka chairs!

what i've always REALLY wanted, is a porch swing...

2:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, if you have the tools and the airfare I'll be there.

Beth, you Canadians talk funny ; )

Darev, I usually keep at least a pound of five sizes in stock.

Anon, the Southern Adirondacks, close to my old stomping grounds. I hung out a Big Tupper.

Dalia, not a good idea where you live on the tenth floor.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home