Friday, March 19, 2010

Dave's Killer Bread


I’ve always loved bread. I love the smell, the taste and the texture of it. Growing up on the east coast I recall often having a buttered hard roll for breakfast. I have yet to find a bread here on the west coast that compares to the east coast hard roll. Though I’m sure that the homogenization process that has swept over the entire country, making everything the same from coast to coast has turned the east coast bread as bland as what they’ve been eating out here for years.

I know I should be buying all my bread from the Blue Scorcher which is the only game in town for really good artisan breads, but I don’t get down town as often as I’d like. I am always on the quest for good bread with nuts and seeds in it. Even when in the grocery store I’ve been fooled by commercially produced seed breads only to find the seeds on the crust and not in the bread itself.

I recently saw a spot on the news about Portland bakery, Dave’s Killer Breads. Dave was a meth head and spent several years in jail. He one day decided his life was going nowhere so joined the family business his father started. He developed his own recipes and used all natural and organic (or so he thinks) ingredients. I picked up couple loaves of his “Good Seed” bread and I was pleasantly delighted. The bread was a bit sweeter than I like a bread to be, but it had an excellent body and as far as seeds go it was like visiting a bird feeder. By the way, I found this bread at Costco.

If you want to know more about Dave and his Killer Breads you can got to daveskillerbread.com

14 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Reminds me of when I was a kid. My grandmother lived above a bakery in Germany. I can smell it right now :) I adore bread, real bread, not the mushy stuff that gets stuck to your teeth. The loaf has to have some weight to it. Haven't been able to find decent bread around here for a long time.

4:23 AM  
Anonymous dalia said...

when i read the name of his bread, i thought of a line in that song i used to sing as a kid:

"they say that in the army, the rolls are mighty fine... one rolled off the table, and killed a friend of mine... oh, i don't want no more of an-my life! gee ma, i wanna go, back to ontario, gee ma, i wanna go hoooome!"

12:28 PM  
Anonymous jb said...

The small baguette sized loaf called the Peace Bomb is also fantastic. It's great with soup. BTW, Fred Meyer also carries it in the Natural Food section.

12:55 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Oh, how I love bread. I had a friend whose mother used to bring Portuguese rolls from Philadelphia that were most excellent.

In Turkey my favorite was their standard bread, ekmek

If you scroll down that page you'll find something else I loved there, simit. It was sold on the streets: people balancing big trays of it on their head

I once saw a simit vendor get hit by a car as he crossed the street. Tossed him and his bread up in the air. Quite a spectacle. He got up and dusted himself off and was on his way again.

veri word--hydroc: a wet stone.

1:22 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

I forgot to mention one of my other experiences with bakeries. This one was in a most unexpected location, essentially in the middle of nowhere. I'd been driving for days. Visited the east side of Glacier Nat. Park and decided it was too crowded. In seeking a camping spot where no RVs were to be found I went to the west side of the park and sought out a dirt road inaccessible to the behemoth fuel suckers with their damned noisy generators. Right at the start of this escape route I came upon the Polebridge Merchantile I walked in expecting little but a few needed supplies, but was greeted by the heavenly aroma of baked breads and other treats. Quite a surprise a few miles from the Canadian border, from where I could almost see nowhere.

1:40 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Around here all you can get is commercially made bread from the grocery store. No bakeries within miles of the place. My fave right now is Idaho Spud Potato Bread. Tasty and slightly buttery and it doesn't stick to roof of my mouth like white bread does. If I can't get that, I get Kings Hawaiian Rolls. Good stuff.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I found a bread from the bakery at Sams that meets my picky standards, too! Who knew....

Being a bread snob is not a bad thing. :)

6:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, it's odd how some bakeries understand good bread and others just use a formula.

Dalia, do you still sing?

JB, yes I saw it there the other day.

Rich, yes, ethnic breads make the world go around.

Darev, you're making me dislike the mid-west more and more.

Amy, it's not, but what happens if you are a snob that won't go to Sam's?

7:15 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

You con somebody else into going for you, of course! (I've got this laziness thing down pat.)

10:27 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

That a sin of commission.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Tried some today, and it was really good!!!

1:02 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Good!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi I am visiting Astoria for the weekend. Do you know if there is a peace rally someplace on the 19th ? And I love Daves Spelt bread- so chewey!

9:58 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

The Peace rally is usually at the post office on Friday nights, at least it was for years. I don't know anything about a rally on Saturday, but you can start one, though I don't think anyone will notice.

4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home