Saturday, March 13, 2010

Safe At Home


My chickens just caught a break on Monday. Normally they get let out to free range all day, but a combination of us being busy and the weather being stormy, we left them cooped up all day in the Super Max coop and run. The break they caught was there was a new dog running loose. It was trying it’s hardest to get in the chicken yard which got all the chickens pretty upset. When the dog saw me it scurried away.

At around 8pm a car drove up into my driveway. I didn’t recognize the car or the man getting out of it. As it turned out he was a very apologetic new neighbor. Somehow it was his dog that got out and roamed the neighborhood all day and killed some other neighbors’ chickens. This new neighbor was just making sure he covered all the bases in damage control. We gave him a dozen eggs to thank him for his concerns and for being a good neighbor.

It was nice to see a neighbor being proactive. The last time this happened with another neighbor dog, I had to approach the owner and that dog was bringing the chickens home.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I have never had a neighbor care whether their dogs got my chickens or not. I've never had one offer to pay for the damage. You are lucky.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Good thing you had the chickens on lock down :)

4:34 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Bless your neighbour and may he keep his dog from roaming.

5:49 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Sounds like you scored a winner in the new neighbor department. I'd offer to help him put up a fence for his dog.

7:22 AM  
Blogger weese said...

see...the problem for me - if I were to have a dog like that. would be that it actually came back home.

7:49 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I find it interesting that I am the only person in the neighborhood that doesn't have a dog.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous sewa mobil said...

good story about chicken
i like that

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home