Monday, March 15, 2010

TV History Part 2


Another historical event in history the world got to witness was the assassination of John F. Kennedy and the aftermath. I remember clearly being in school, Catholic School, third grade. It was a Friday in November, 1963. Suddenly the face of the Mother Superior appeared in window of the door to the class room. She tapped her Jesus wedding ring on the glass. When ever this happened the Nun that was teaching us hurried to the door. Mother Superior was never a frivolous ring rapper. It was only at times of major importance when she called for the attention of our Nun.

I heard her brief instructions which were, “Turn on the TV.” The channel was of no importance they all were covering the assassination. That coverage in school wasn’t as memorable as the moment itself. More memorable to me was the event two days later. I was playing with a friend and her mother had the TV on and the mother came into the room and told us to watch the important event coming up live. It was then I witnessed on live TV Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald. It was the first of very few live televised Deaths I’ve seen.

This was another historic television event I will never forget.

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Oh yes, I remember well. I was at work when it happened; a black co-worker whose name I've long-since forgotten said, "I feel like I just lost my father."
And that whole weekend, there was nothing else on TV except news coverage. I must not have actually been watching when Oswald was shot; I remember seeing clips of it over and over again, but I don't think I actually saw it happen.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I was born just a year after this happened, but have seen it replayed countless times. Can't imagine having seen it happening live

6:34 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I was just a wee bit over one year old when that happened. My memories of the occasion are a bit fuzzy. Not quite as old as those of you who watched the sack of Rome as it happened.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Dear Lord, I'm the oldest person commenting. I'm now officially old as dirt.

6:37 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, that was powerful.

Auntie and Darev, you'll catch up in age.

Donna, that's not a bad thing. I do have a couple readers that have a decade or two on you, but they don't comment.

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home