Sunday, March 14, 2010

TV History Part 1



Most of us think of television as a somewhat necessary evil. Like junk food sometimes it tastes good but it is bad for us. I was thinking about the several historic events that I’ve seen on television in my life time that I would have had no way of seeing had it not been for the blue flame.

My first memory of its importance was one Sunday evening when I was playing in my bedroom as a child. My parents called me and told me to come down stairs and watch something that I’d never forget. I couldn’t imagine what was so important. On our black and white console set stood Ed Sullivan introducing the Beatles. To this day I have no idea how my parents knew this was an important moment in history. They certainly weren’t big music fans and they certainly didn’t like the Beatles.

I sat cross legged on the floor and took it all in. I can honestly say that my mind was opened to something new that stayed with me to this day. This event was later cursed by those with conservative values. Some cursed Sullivan for bringing the Beatles and their Ilk to the United States. Their influence changed everything and that was one genie that would never go back into the bottle.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Odd thing about that. I remember that night clear as a bell. Right up there with what you were doing when you got the news that JFK was assassinated. Lends credence to the quote that people don't remember what you said or did but they always remember how they made you feel. Brings me back to a hot afternoon sitting in grade school - one of those days when the weather outside and the prospect of playing marbles is much more appealing than the drone of the teachings. Fidgety times for sure as you slouch and sit up sliding your ass on the slippery seat. All of a sudden, I feel a pain in my butt. What the fuck is that? Sit up and take notice...pain increases. Holy shit!! More pain. By this time, I'm outta my seat and the smoke coming from my butt clues me in to the fact that the "safety" matches I had in my rear pocket have rubbed against each other and started an ass fire. Spontaneous ass combustion. Remember that day clear as...well, you know. Damn matches were for setting grass fires...not ass fires. And so began my career as the class clown...

Moose

5:35 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

My first early TV, fuzzy black and white image when the whole family sat noiselessly engrossed was the moon landing.


VW: 'Pyrints' Special measures equaling a pint of beer for Pirates.

7:52 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I can remember watching several historic things on the teevee in my younger days. Some fun and some sad interspersed with total banality in between. Then five or six years ago I stopped watching it altogether. Let me know if anything happens.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I don't have teevee now either. Going on almost 3 years. However when we move, we are getting one. Don't know if I will ever have the patience to watch it again as I once did though. (the internetz have ruined me)

8:25 AM  
Blogger g said...

There are many moments in history I wish I could have watched or been a part of. The experience of such a thing is priceless. Thanks for sharing!

10:45 AM  
Blogger mark said...

My parents were probably watching Lawrence Welk so I missed The Beatles on TV. Ed Sullivan was a little too cosmopolitan for them.

2:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Moose, Damn it you really need your own blog. I'd love to read this sort of stuff every day.

Auntie, spoiler alert for tomorrow.

Darev, you're on your own. Though I am curious, do TV-less people watch videos on their computers?

g, you're still young and you should be able to relate to the post tomorrow.

Mark, at least they weren't watching Fulton Sheen.

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home