Monday, August 16, 2010

Heat


I don't do well in the heat. It used to be when I lived on the East Coast I'd never hold back on those hot and humid days. I'd still cycle 30 miles a day even in the most extreme heat.

I spent this weekend in the heat. We took the horses camping and one finds out quickly the unpleasantness of the heat. Aside from the constant of feeling warm and sweaty, the heat brings out some of the more aggressive horse flies. Fortunately shaded areas provides much needed relief from the heat and the insects. The funny thing is when you ride into an open area to cross a logging road, the horse flies were there to great you and stuck with you until you reentered the shade.

It was so refreshing to come home. The temperature seemed to go down by two degrees every ten miles of the trip home. We went from ninety to sixty-four degrees. I was so glad to see the marine layer heading in our direction over the hills to the west of us.

5 Comments:

Blogger richpix said...

I can't tell you how sick of heat I am.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

You call that HEAT? You don't have a CLUE about heat.
Sorry, I just needed to get that out of my system.

8:03 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I know everyone else in the country have been heated nearly to death, but the relativity is the problem. Our temps are usually in the 60s, so 30 degrees is hot to us. People that live in really hot areas of the world would think the people in the US are pansies complaining about this summer.

7:13 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Someone from any of the equatorial areas would be wearing a sweater.

7:23 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Darev, that made me wonder, and it's amazing how variable equatorial weather can be.

The other day I was talking to a clerk at the grocery store. He's from Ethiopia. When I asked him what he thought of the weather he said it was too hot.

I just looked at some weather info for that area, and sure enough, this would be extremely hot there. The average highs in Addis Ababa are in the mid-70s all year. I then looked at Nairobi, Kenya. Same thing--highs ranging from 70-78 degrees all year. The only great variable is the amount of rainfall.
Nairobi Climate

Then I thought, What about Bogota, Columbia? that sits almost on the equator. Surely it's blazing hot there. Nope. Average high about 60 all year, with a couple rainy months. Of course it's mountainous but I didn't think it would be that cool.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home