Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Three Dog Nights


I can understand people having a dog. Well not really, but lets say I do understand it or at least I'm not opposed to it. I understand when people have two dogs because they feel that dogs need a companion other than us. An extra animal so they can do things where people will be confused about who to blame for the pile of crap on the rug. But with this understanding I draw the line at two dogs. Last weekend when we went camping there was one other horse camper there with three dogs. They stayed only a day because shortly after two other horse campers showed up with three dogs each. While out riding the first campers dog of Rottweiler decent broke out of their motor home, by ripping out a screen and ran around barking so as to unwelcome the other six dog posse that arrived.

Though the owners of to total of nine dogs seemed to be nice on the surface, they had no clue about leash laws.

Now here's a little hint for people that have three dogs and insist on taking them places other than their home. Other people don't enjoy your dogs barking and yapping. I know the dog owners can no longer hear this miserable sound, but it is really annoying, especially when you let Rover out to take a leak in the middle of the night and Rover needs to let the world know he is out.

Another thing that is annoying is when you are too lazy to walk your dog on a leash, but rather let it out to roam and then have to bark your own shrill voice to get the dog back home.

I know you love your dogs, but please love them more and don't share them with those of us that don't bring them camping. You are aware enough to keep your horses from roaming around unattended, so why can't you do the same with your dogs?

10 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Traveling with a dog is like traveling with a two-year-old child; same with camping out. This is why we board our dog when we go someplace. I can't believe the way some people just assume their dogs will be welcomed into someone's home.
As for two dogs, now that I'm budgeting for retirement, we can barely afford one. The trips to the vet, the heartworm meds, the monthly stuff for fleas and ticks, the high-quality dog food... until I put all that on paper and added it up, I had no idea my dog was costing us so much.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you imagine all the dog crap ! Sheesh.

No thanks!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I can't stand yapping dogs and it's beyond me that it doesn't get on the owners nerves as it does on mine. There have been more than a few times were I woke up in the middle of the night and had serious thoughts about aiming my gun out of the window....but I went back to sleep. :)

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd like my dogs they rarely bark and they're idiots so I keep them leashed. I don't take them to other peoples homes unless they are specifically invited. Many trips I've taken with them has been disrupted by other peoples loose dogs so I share your annoyance.

I have 2 dogs because they enjoy each others company.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the real problem is that a lot of people don't know jack about dogs but still want them and to inflict their ignorance on their fellow man...there's nothing better than a good dog and nothing worse than a bad one and that is entirely on the owner. A dog owner that can't teach the dog proper behavior and control the animal with voice and hand signals is a complete and utter failure. Dogs are born to please their masters-that is what they are hardwired to do, but sadly a lot of people havnt a clue. If a dog cant "Stop" "Go" "Come" and "Shut up" on command it's the fault of the owner-or else those pedigreed dogs have had the brains bred out of them and are mentally FUBAR and should be disposed of.

9:17 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Back when I had a dog we took her for obedience training every week and the end result was amazing and I might even say legendary.

Consider what it would be like if you never schooled your children. Well, that's what people get when they don't school their dogs.

6:09 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

How in the heck did I get two posts behind? Are you messing with me? My dogs are both idiots but I love them dearly even if I do want to strangle them several times a day. I guess they are not too bad for found pound hounds.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Having been a vet tech for the past32 years, I have seen the best and the worst behaved dogs and can tell you my thoughts on it...a responsible pet owner is responsible in all facets of their life, and an irresponsible one, ditto on the negative side...you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

1. I have three dogs. Two are halfway well-behaved, which makes one well-behaved out of the three.
2. My neighbor just lets her dog out to potty. All over the neighborhood. Everyone hates it. But, she still does it.
3. We only travel with one dog at a time. The other two get boarded or house sat. And when they are not in our very expensive, very high-fenced dog run, they are on leashes (unless at the beach, again, one at a time and only the ones that will come back when called). When you let your dog off-leash, my one dog-aggressive dog who is on the leash is NOT amused when your dog lunges for her. This is why she is on a LEASH. But I cannot control your loose dog, and if she's confined on a leash she'll feel even MORE threatened, Einstein! Geez!

That being said, I'll always have dogs, Guy, and I might even occasionally drag one thru the Farmer's Market just to give you something to write about.

4:41 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Three dogs? What about the odor?

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home