Monday, January 10, 2011

Memorials


During the last month I've been to two memorials for people that have had major impacts on others. There were no fewer than two hundred people at each of these memorials.

Though everyone thinks they contribute towards the betterment of mankind and society there are those who go above and beyond. I wonder how they found enough time in one lifeting to achieve all their accomplishments.

Thinking of my own mortality, as most attendees of memorial services do, I don't have a portfolio of accomplishments that will make my eventual passing notable. Sure, I've taught some classes, done some good deeds and entertained a hand-full of people that read this blog, but I doubt I actually know two hundred people and I doubt I'm close enough with twenty people that would even be interested in attending a memorial when I go. Though it really won't matter to me, but I'd probably be happy with a memorial at a table of six at the Urban Cafe.

8 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Just as long as the bees aren't there, I'll show up.

7:12 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

And just where have you been?

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure people know there will be food and alcohol if you want a crowd to show up.

7:08 PM  
Blogger mark said...

Agree with anonymous: booze will attract plenty of thirsty mourners.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I've told my kids to do whatever makes them feel good when I die. I'm leaving no plans for a service, I'm not even telling them what to do with my ashes. It's all up to them. There was a time my memorial would have drawn a decent number of mourners. Now, probably only a handful; but there might be several in attendance who would like to dance on my grave, rejoicing at my passing.

4:10 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, That's a long trip. I've been here without ideas.

Anon, I bought a bottle of wine the other day and I can't believe how much it cost. I won't be luering drinkers when I'm gone.

Mark, I've got some Irish in me, matybe a wee nippy.

Donna, I can't believe you have people that don't like you. What's not to like? Your kids should spread your ashes over an internet server.

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

But Guy - you never know how many people you have touched. If you died tomorrow (no way!), I think you would be surprised at how many would show up at any service that might be held.

I'm with you, however...if my dearest friends get together to share stories and feel good, I'd be happy.

9:37 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'd say we'll see , but at that point I'll be unable to see anything.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home