Thursday, January 06, 2011

No Difference


I spent a considerable amount of time on the road last weekend. It gave the chance to do some serious radio surfing. Before I continue on this topic, I have to state that in the past I covered the topic of the differences between the attitudes in music, like how in the Blues the general theme, "You hurt me, and I'm never going to let that happen again you bitch." Country music of old days the theme was "You hurt me, but now I have a bottle and it's going to be OK." I respect both of those themes and find them both amusing.

Well I drove about 30 miles listening to new style Country music, which was basically an affirmation of, "I have my faults, but I'm becoming a better person thanks to you." After resisting a healthy vomit for 30 miles I advanced the radio to the next station was a Contemporary Christian station where the theme was basically an affirmation of, "I have my faults, but I'm becoming a better person thanks to Jesus." Needless to say I did vomit in my mouth at that point. There was absolutely no difference in the music or un-clever lyrics.

What I want to know is how can anyone accept modern Country music or Christian Music as an art form? Haven't these people ever heard an interesting sound or do they just enjoy stuffing marshmallows and mayonnaise shit into their brains?

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I can't advise you on this. I hate modern country music AND modern Christian music. I'm sure it makes you vomit in your mouth a little, but I like the old hymns about being washed in the blood and about the old rugged cross, and amazing grace.

4:06 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

And our society has become so litigious that if you write about wanting to have sex or beat the crap out of somebody or do something fun and somebody does one of those things while listening to your music then you'll get sued because you forced them to have sex or beat the crap out of somebody or got hurt while having fun. The songs in my head would have me in court for the rest of my life.

6:20 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, though the content of the old stuff is grotesque there is a charm to its twangieness.

Darev, I wonder how many of the people you work with can claim they were under the influence of music.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I'm back. I watched a biography of Marilyn Manson today. I don't get it. Does this have anything to do with this entry? Probably not, except that Manson was blamed for the Colorado school killings.

4:16 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I wish I knew it was on, He a pretty bright guy when you take away the theatrics.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home