Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Agates


I spent some time in Yachats Oregon (pronounced Ya Hots)on Sunday. There is a small State Park on the waters edge. There is an out cropping of basalt where the waves crash. It is very scenic, however the gem of this park is the few small patches of beach. The beach only comprises less than an acre, but the beach is filled with small agates. As one looks down the glistening of these small stones shines like multicolored stars.

Though I don't make jewelry, collecting a small sample of these stones makes me want to start smithing just so I can display my finds for all to see.

4 Comments:

Blogger qandlequeen said...

Those are very pretty and would look great displayed in a glass bowl

5:20 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I remember being on that beach before. I should never go to a beach wearing anything with pockets. I wonder, if I still had all of the rocks I have ever collected, how big the pile would be. Bet if I added just a little mortar I could have built a pretty impressive house by now.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous rockhunter said...

Your beautiful agate collection with the lacy patterns and all that make them so special, nice job of polishing them too. I agree, they should be in a glass bowl for all to see.

10:24 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

QQ, this was my 3ed time there over the years and I've now got a large enough collection to display.

Darev, rocks are pieces of art.

Rockhunter, you have a great rock site. Thanks for coming by.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home