Thursday, December 30, 2010

OK OJ


I'm not a big juice drinker. I do enjoy it but I'm more fond of coffee and water. Last week I got a big box of Mandarin oranges and I got sick of having two a day so I figured I should juice them.

My mother had a juicer attachment for her mix master when I was growing up. Once in a while she would juice some oranges and it was a real treat. I didn't want to go to the expense of getting a power juicer, but I've been able to find a manual juicer at the local grocery stores. I went to the kitchen shop at the Seaside Outlet Mall and I found a nice glass juicer, which I put to work as soon as I got home.

I ended up with a pint of juice. It wasn't that homogenized pasteurized crap that is squeezed from unsellable oranges you find in the cooler at the store. It was rich and flavorful and laced with pulp. It took me back to the days of my youth sitting at my mother's breakfast table.

10 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Heck I haven't seen one of those outside of an antique store in ages. Now you got me wanting real orange juice...... But not until after I've had enough coffee.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I have one of those glass juicers and only use it to make mojitos...

1:35 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Hey, one of my blog readers asked what happened to Tango, and wonders why she isn't posting any more. I think you mentioned that you and Tango were exchanging emails about squeaky floors and thought maybe you could enlighten us.

2:10 PM  
Blogger g said...

Back in my wild and crazy drinking days, I was always on the search for a screwdriver that had fresh squeezed orange juice. If memory serves me right, the old Sandtrap lounge was the best.

Now days, it is a real treat (stephanies cabin) to get fresh squeezed oj.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fresh squeezed juice of 3 oranges and 1 grapefruit is what goes into my smoothie every morning - the stuff that says not from concentrate is most likely not from oranges either or just barely so...

Moose

6:26 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, Drink up.

Teri, Put to a good use I see.

Donna, She never mentioned why. All I know is she is now living in her town house and she hasn't fallen in love or anything silly like that. She does post several times a day on Facebook usually about her new kick which is food purity and anti Monsanto. You should friend her. Go to my facebook page and you'll find her listed in my friends list.

g, I wonder if Stephanie's Cabin will close along with Andrew and Steve's. Aren't they both under the same ownership?

Moose, so that's what keeps you Noofs going through the winter.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Guy, I hate Monsanto too. I'll go right now and friend her.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Here I am, thanks for asking, Donna. :)

11:42 AM  
Blogger g said...

I heard a rumor just today that Stephanies may be closing. I don't think the ownership is the same.

5:06 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g, they were where it changed from the Dutch Cup. Don't know who owns it now.

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home