Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Where It Was At


The older I get the more fondly my memories become. Radio was a big part of my early life. Radio isn't the same these days. There are few radio stars left. Sure there are some personalities and the closest would be all those local Morning Zoo personalities. Every city has one or two and this is one of the reasons radio has become the lowest rung of the entertainment business. No one these days commands the respect and the devoted listenership that radio personalities had just 30 years ago. Back then radio was meant to be listened to not just a provider of background noise. A good show never got old.

Two shows that I fondly remember were on the now defunct WNEW-AM. William B Williams had the Make Believe Ballroom show and the theme song lured me in daily. It was old big band music. It had to be good in order for my 20 year old ears to accept the music from the 30's and 40's. The theme music said it all.Make Believe Ballroom

Since I was young, sleep meant little to me so I'd stay up all night listening to the Milkman's Matinee with Al Jazzbeaux Collins. Here was the theme song for his show.
Milkman's Matinee

My adventures in radio have long gone. I rarely ever listen anymore and when I do I do it for background noise. Like most other people I pay more attention to the nonsense on TV and worse yet the Internet. I know it's horrible, but I can't wait until the next adventure of the Real Annoying Orange that comes out nearly every Friday. What have I become? It's a disgrace.

2 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Of course anybody who makes it halfway big on radio wants to go to teevee and get even bigger. Personally, I'd rather sit behind a mike and have my face anonymous. I got one of those faces. I wanted to go into radio for years but never got an opportunity. Or never made one for myself, anyway. I still dig old swing jazz era music.

8:08 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, you could have a radio blog.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home