Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Finding Farm Hard Ware


I am all for shopping locally, but sometimes you just can't find the weird little items for the farm. Years ago If you couldn't find something you needed at Brims you could find it at Darigold. Then Darigold downsized and became Papa Jacks but now there is only one local farm supplier left in the area. I'm not being critical of their stock because they simply can't carry everything for each discipline of animal husbandry. Also they have to keep an eye on their bottom line and it makes sense for them to buy from suppliers that have a broad array of what is needed, but not necessarily hard to find items. Also sometimes they have to buy large quantities.

A recent example are those white vinyl caps that you put on T-posts. I had a horse that ripped a chunk out of her butt on a sharp T-post so now every post gets covered. I just fenced in a new area and I needed more post covers. Locally I could only find them in a package of 100. I needed 47 of them and I found them on line in packages of 25. I also needed to replace two fence chargers. Locally they sell for over $100, but I found them on-line for under $40 each. Then there was the tank heater that was made specifically for 5 gallon plastic buckets and the watering nipples to water chickens.

For those of you looking for those hard to find farm and pet items try farmtek.com or even better americanlivestock.com. American Livestock also carries all sorts of medicines and treatments at very low prices. Orders over $100 get free shipping.

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Hello? Did you delete your blog? Something funny is going on.

4:08 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Now that was weird. For a little while your blog did not exist, but I could access a cached copy of it and comment. By the time I finished doing that, it was back to normal.

4:09 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Blogger was probably down for maintenance.

6:20 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Ooooo.... I hate it when that happens. Blogger goes down and I get all tight in my chest.

I think online shopping is going to replace most if not all actual stores in the next few years. Now if I could just find a place to get gas cheap and have it delivered to my truck....

8:25 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, on line has gotten a good share of commerce, but if they start doing sales tax it may stop it for me. There is no sales tax in Oregon.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home