Friday, December 31, 2010

The Gloom is Gone fo the Moment


The rain has finally ended for now. I know I've said often that I moved here for the gloom, but lately there has been more than enough gloom to go around. I was able to work outside a bit today. I let the horses out onto the frozen pasture where they were able to behave like horses, running, kicking up their heels and rolling instead of standing around watching it rain.

I have lots of plans for the next few days of cold dry weather. I have a massive pile of brush to burn, do some fencing for a new pasture, plant some trees and I need to clean out the greenhouse. Hopefully a gardener friend is going to come for a couple loads of manure. I'm running out of manure storage space. It just doesn't cook down like it does in the summer.

I'm even planning to do some laundry and hang it on the line to dry. The East wind should do the trick even though the days are short at this latitude. They may even be freeze dried.

6 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

We're having an odd warm snap that could turn very ugly. This afternoon is supposed to be almost 70 and then drop down to 20 over night. Not surprising, we are under a tornado watch for most of the afternoon. I'm bringing extra food and clothes when I leave for work. Just in case.

9:04 AM  
Blogger qandlequeen said...

I'm sitting in the basement with tornado sirens blaring at the moment. Truly screwy weather today.

Anyways, stopping by to wish you a happy new year!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

many moons ago when I lived in Northern Ireland, we did all of our wash by hand and dried it outside when we could. On those cold winter days with north atlantic wind blowing, I loved to bring the clothes in off the line and feel them crunch as I folded them. Especially the flannel nightgowns for some reason.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Reminds me of when I lived in Germany. My mom would drape all the feather beds through the open windows. The smell of the beds and the feel of them that night was wonderful. All fresh, fluffy and new.
Happy New Year to you all!

3:24 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev and QQ, Is your tornado season now all year?

Auntie, isn't our climate comparable?

Tango, imagine what your neighbors would think if you did that today.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Ha, you know I really wouldn't give a lovely ____ what they would think!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home