Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Of Montreal


Mark Twain once said that Wagner's music was really much better than it sounds...

Maybe our memories of the music of the 60s, 70s and 80s is faulty.  I swear what we were listening to back then was great, but when I go back and listen to the old stuff  in the present day I am woefully disappointed. I can put aside all the times that were defined by what I was listening to back then mostly because as I age my memories fade making the music stand on its own without the crutch of good times supporting it.

I came across the group "Of Montreal" and in particular their 2007 album called Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?  This collection immediately took me back to the pioneer days of Brian Eno and Bowie, 801 with a side of Zappa.  You might even detect a touch of Queen and They Might Be Giants.

Now be careful with this group, each of their other albums I've listened to are great, too, but great in a different way.  Each of them goes off in a totally different direction.  This is why I say you should start with this album and then if you choose to journey further with them you have been primed for that which is next.  They have eleven albums to pick through.

For me this group really plays off my short attention span with constant changes in direction which keeps it all very interesting.

The cool thing is that I found the entire album in one file on Youtube, click this link Of Montreal to hear it all.


1 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Hmm.... Not bad at all.
I like it.
Thanks for the tip, Guy!

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home