Monday, July 17, 2006

Free Advertising


Let’s say I offered you a job in advertising, and it would be your job to advertise products every waking hour of the day. Knowing that advertising executives make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, how much would you expect to get paid for this position? How much is your endorsement worth?

Now how about if I told you that you were not going to be paid for this job, and that you would be expected to pay for the position and the material. It would be an outrage! Right?

Now, slowly look down. Is there anything written on your shirt or jacket? How about your hat? Are you renting out bill-board space on your body and not being paid for it?

So you think that it was a good idea to pay good money for clothing that advertises something for someone else? What are you really saying? I support NAFTA and sweat shops in third world countries! Yes, I know people who are unemployed here but I still support the North American Fair Trade Agreement that took their jobs and sent those jobs to third world countries so big business can make more money. Now the unemployed can get minimum wage jobs without benefits selling all their crap to poor people back here in the US.

There was a company recently who started a thing called Bumvertising. This is where they pay the homeless to walk around with ad pieces. Yes they are paid for their work, but millions of people allow themselves to be bill boards for free. So I hope you are happy with that Nike Swoosh that you are so proud to wear for free.

2 Comments:

Blogger DB said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I never was able to put this sentiment into words, and here you are saying exactly what I've been thinking since, oh, high school.

I hate clothing with ads.

8:37 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks Honeysuckle. Feel free to reprint on your blog as you see fit, if you want to share it with your readers. Cool cakes by the way...

I'm glad I live in a rural area where I also don't have to look at the blight of bill boards. How much advertising can one person stand? I know I've reached my limit and snapped...

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home