Saturday, July 15, 2006

FSBO


I’m as nosy as the next guy, so I take great delight in the real estate section of the Daily A every Friday. I get to see who is selling what and for what price. The problem is this happens only once every week, so I have a void in my life from Monday through Thursday.

However, there is always the For Sale By Owned adds that run every day of the week. This is nearly as entertaining on a few different levels. First you have to realize that anyone who tries selling their house by themselves has one or all of the below characteristics going for them.

1. They are too cheap to pay a commission to a real estate agent.
2. They think their house is worth way more than it really is.
3. They are in no hurry to sell and will wait until the market value comes
to their price.
4. They have something to hide.

Sometimes it is fun to see a FSBO sign on a house for a couple months, then one day there is a sign from a broker, and a week later it is sold.

I can understand selling a house yourself if someone one day knocks on your door and offers you a ridiculous amount of money. At this point you will need an attorney to look over your paperwork and contract items. You will need to employ a title company. No problem, but if you plan to start from scratch with no prospective buyers, you are a person with the qualities listed above.

4 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

So true.

I was the rare buyer who stalked, I mean made an offer to a woman who hadn't yet listed her property. Bitch still lied about everything! All ended well though. I love my place.

5:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Actually I don't have any horses in that race. I could equally come up with a list of goofy Realtor traits for another article some day. I'm not in the market to buy or sell. However selling something your self is akin to buying supliments off the shelf and thinking they will prevent or cure cancer. Even a broken clock is right two times a day. So sometimes self medicating and selling your house yourself works. Most times it is a disaster for someone. Usually the buyer.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Working FSBO has become quite popular nowadays. FSBO sites provide their users with easy search and many other services. Recently I ve come across one of such services ClimateWatch and found it rather useful. Climate watch allows homebuyers to check what the climate is like in another town or city all year round before they move there.

3:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

That article was written two years ago. Things sure have changed.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home