Sunday, July 16, 2006

A Message for the Believers



Normally I don’t write on Sunday, and not because of any religious thing, but religion is something I feel I need to talk about. Here’s a concept for those of you who may believe in something... The concept is KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

OK, here’s what happened that really pissed me off last night. I belong to this agricultural organization, and once in a while they will have a function that includes a pot luck. ( Oh pot lucks, that’s an article all on it’s own that I will need to spew on…) Anyway, the thing last night was a Dutch Oven Cookout. It’s time to eat, and this one guy shouts out, “Can’t we all say grace, come on people let’s gather in a circle and take your neighbors hand.”

All the sheep put their plates down and did as he asked. I did not. I wonder how they would have reacted if I then continued their prayer, delaying their meal with a prayer to end discrimination, give equal rights to everyone, and to smite Wal*Mart, Paul Harvey and all the other things these hicks hold dear.

Please believe what you want. I don’t care if you believe in peanut butter sandwiches and accept them as your savior and Christ. Just please keep it to yourself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you had indeed led them in your own alternative prayer. Myself, I fantasize about saying, "Now, let's all chant OM in honor of the unity of Atman and Brahman," or, "Now, let's breathe in and out, blending our chi with the Great Tao."

But I too tend to go along with empty ritual. Don't like to rock the boat, even though fundamentalists need to have their boat turned over.

11:01 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dude, I know the history, I just thought it was a good image. Now turn the other cheek.

Also I'm not encouraging a group hug circle jerk in the name of Jebus (Yes an obscure Simpsons reference).

People come here and read stuff if they want to. I do not take them hostage in the name my beliefs or lack there of.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home