Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Country Life


Frank Lloyd Wright once said that if you want to live in the country, go where it looks like you want to live and then drive another 10 miles further. I wish I had heard this advice when I moved here years ago.

When I first moved here my property was bordered by only three neighbors. There are now seven, with more sub-divisions possible there is room for another ten or so if the present property owners keep slicing and selling.

There is now an improved road with a double stripped line in the center and fog lines on the side. With the new pavement, higher speeds are now the norm for the traffic. There will soon be a “Slow Down Asshole!” sign by my driveway.

Human voices can now be heard, and everyone who moves to the country seems to have the need to have at least one yapping dog. The only joy I have is when these dogs first discover the wonders of a high voltage electric fence.

I recently went for a bike ride for a mile in each direction of my house and counted all the houses that have been built since I purchased my house nearly 20 years ago. There are forty-nine new houses with several more on the way.

All of this came to mind while partaking in the daily ritual of drinking morning coffee on the porch. I heard the phone ring so I got up to answer it, but soon discovered I was hearing a neighbor’s phone ringing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless you own several hundred acres and put a house in the middle of it you are screwed.

We have only three houses near us and they drive me crazy. Garbage... old cars...dogs that chase my chickens. Oh, don't get me started about the goat that gets loose and eats my plants...I almost forgot about the neighbor kid who rides his quad in our woods.

Calgon take me away...

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the format change

11:04 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I fear that happening to my little corner of heaven.

11:14 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sorry I couldn't check in sooner but I've been at the Dried Salmon County Fair all day. Shelby Hecox is kicking butt in the swine competition.

Which identifies something I am happy for...none of my neighbors are raising pigs.

See you in the morning with a new article.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home